Trends come and go. Regardless of how fabulous the trend is at the time, an expiration date is always summoned at the height of its popularity. In 2005, we witnessed the continuance of Uggs and boho chic. We also witnessed one of the fashion industries brightest protégés become a fashion designer herself; can we say Gwen Stefani?
What does all this mean, you ask? Well, it means that with this brand new year we fashion folk are bound to make some hits and misses with our own wardrobes. Plaid has been said to be making a comeback and I hear that Parisian chic is also slowly creeping back in. So before we sit back and let the good times roll (and break the bank) let’s review what we already have. We’ve all heard of the fashion must-have list regarding which items will never go out of style. You know, the little black dress, a great pair of jeans, red lipstick, etc…
But, if you ask me, black dresses are great, but it gets a little old (and noticeably lazy) after a while. And, needless to say, as much as I’d love to wear red lipstick, it just doesn’t correspond with my complexion (the fact is I’m more Beyonce than Nicole Kidman.) Oh and that whole “great pair of jeans thing” is a great idea, but there are too many great brands and styles to choose from and one pair just doesn’t cut if for me anymore.
After looking through my personal wardrobe and reviewing the goods, the bads and the uglies, I realized that over the years I too have acquired some true-blue items and ideas that stick around year after year. And none of them involve red lipstick.
Behold my personal list of timeless chic (in no particular order.)
1.(authentic)Vintage shopping – Okay, so heading to H&M for the cool retro Chanel Suit knock-off is great, but the real thing or, for God’s sake, a vintage knockoff, serves a better purpose.
2. A long silk scarf with a bold print – Whether around your neck, head, waist or arm, the possibilities are endless,
3. Black flats – It’s not always about the pumps.
4. Wide leg pants – Note: pants do not equal jeans. Wide leg jeans are, for me, an acquired taste.
5. Silver and/or Gold hoop earrings – The size of the hoop depends on the season, but let us not mix the silk scarf and earrings; pirate chic can only work for Galliano girls…
6. Costume jewelry – It causes conversation, it makes dressing up and dressing down much more interesting.
7. Plain ol’ wife beater t-shirts are comfy and the neckline is actually versatile on a variety of body types, although I’ve never been fond of the name.
8. A fitted black blazer – Mix it, match it, wear with it what you will.
9. A fragrance – It should be one of the first things you put on and the last thing you’re remembered by.
10. Confidence – This item works even when you’re naked.
Remember, what you wear speaks volumes about who you are. Trends are tempermental, true style is natural.
What items will you still wear in 2006?
Anna Wintour has definitely created a signature style of her own over the years.
Do you think Ms. Hepburn would’ve traded her flats for Uggs this past year?