Every time you open a magazine, turn on the TV or even take a stroll, there is someone critiquing what you wear.
They attack your personal sense of style and can strike a major blow to your ego.
“I chose this, I like this,” you fume to yourself. Most often it’s an old woman in a Chanel suit and pompadour, or a flamboyant who believes Day-Glo green works with anything (sorry,
it doesn’t). This is the Fashion Police that I speak of. Hitlers of style telling you what works, what’s deemed seasoned and how to place it. I believe that we are Pollyannas of personal style and have a freewill policy.
However, if you live for the flock or just want to get it right, here are my clichéd 5 steps to do just that.
1. Mom was right! Confidence, a great smile, and proper hygiene is a excellent start on the road to stepping out the house. Looking and feeling good walk hand and fashion.
2. Own something wild and all you. There is one item everyone has that a friend chimes “What are you wearing?!” Say proudly “I love this, it’s sooooo me,” to which a real friend replies, “You look fabulous!” Loud pieces though, should be worn as accessories with something subtle. Well understated pieces should be prominent. As for the friend, if she laughs or says gross … she isn’t.
3. Shoes! Should not be too small or too big. They don’t have to match in color but must match in style (i.e. don’t wear the cowboy boots with your after-5). Wear what is comfortable on your feet, you’ll have them for a long time (your feet I mean).
4. Good underwear. (I’ve been commando for years) All cotton, preferably that have invisible panty lines. A well-fit bra for parental situations and family
gatherings. No holes! No stains! Ever!
5. Jeans! What?!? I know that’s what you’re saying, this is a crock! I’m sure that’s what they said to Vanderbilt. I chucked out the $85 for the pair. In this day and age, a good pair of jeans go from day to night and can be dressed up, taken out, accompanied on errands and lounged in. In some cases, you can get away with the right pair at work.
And nothing quiets all those naysayers if you look good in those jeans.
There you have it. Five easy points to help you survive, at least till end of October! Ciao!!!