This spring, Nordstrom and Piece & Co. are collaborating on a new collection of apparel and accessories that connects style with global impact. Launching on March 9th, the capsule collection brings to life the work of women artisans around the world through unique, stylish pieces from eight incredible brands – Alice + Olivia, Current/Elliott, DVF, Joie,Rebecca Minkoff, Theory, The Honest Company, and Tory Burch. Each brand worked closely with Piece & Co. to source handmade materials and fabrics that are then incorporated into their pieces – dresses, tops, skirts, shorts and handbags. The collection will be available at select Nordstrom stores and on nordstrom.com.
A Mission to Empower Women
Founded in 2011 by Kathleen Wright, Piece & Co. is committed to ending global poverty by providing sustainable employment opportunities to female artisans. To date, Piece & Co. has created thousands of jobs for women in more than 30 countries by connecting their craft with brands who serve a global marketplace of conscious consumers. With one brand’s order, between 75 and 100 artisans can be employed for up to three months.
“When you invest in a woman, you invest in her family and community, too,” said Wright. “On average, women invest 90 percent of their income back into their families. This includes putting healthy food on the table, paying for their children to go school, or buying healthcare. And our artisans are no different. When we employ one artisan woman, we impact many.”
By joining forces with Nordstrom, these brands are able to create more than 5,000 jobs through Piece & Co. “Pretty amazing things happen when women from around the world come together,” said Wright. “I’m excited for the possibilities that this collaboration with Nordstrom and these fantastic brands brings.”
In the collection, customers will find classic silhouettes revisited in global patterns and colors, including:
– DVF‘s iconic wrap dress, this time made with hand-printed indigo batik, an ancient fabric printing technique that incorporates wax resist and dye.
– Alice + Olivia‘s A-line dress in an artisan-made bold blue and white loom-woven fabric, made in a weaving cooperative in India.
– Rebecca Minkoff‘s ‘Mini MAC’ cross-body in cognac leather accented with backstrap loom fabric, an ancient weave technique from Vietnam.
– Tory Burch‘s crackle printed canvas separates made of hand-painted fabric from Zambia.
– The Honest Company‘s nursing scarves made from hand-woven stripe and chambray designs and silk-screen printed fabrics from Maheshwar and Jodhpur, India.
– Theory‘s tunics and city shorts in fatigue and block prints from India that are created using a hand-carved wooden stamp.
– Current/Elliott‘s prep school shirts in black & white ikat or floral block prints made in India.
– Joie‘s blue and white ikat on casual summer staples: jumper, shorts and a sleeveless dress.
“What excites us most about this collaboration with Piece & Co. is how each of the brands really embraced the idea that the clothing they’re designing can truly make a difference,” said Tricia Smith, executive vice president, general merchandise manager, Women’s Apparel at Nordstrom. “It’s been inspiring to see how all of the brands have enjoyed creating their items with these beautiful fabrics and how they’ve now been incorporated into their spring collections.”
Piece & Co will be available at the following Nordstrom stores and online at nordstrom.com/pieceandco:
- Downtown Seattle (Seattle, Wash.)
- Bellevue Square (Bellevue, Wash.)
- Downtown Portland (Portland, Ore.)
- Cherry Creek (Denver, Colo.)
- Michigan Avenue (Chicago, Ill.)
- Mall of America (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Old Orchard (Skokie, Ill.)
- Somerset North (Troy, Mich.)
- South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa, Calif.)
- Fashion Island (Newport Beach, Calif.)
- Topanga (Canoga Park, Calif.)
- The Grove (Los Angeles, Calif.)
- Santa Monica Place (Santa Monica, Calif.)
- Fashion Valley (San Diego, Calif.)
- University Town Centre (San Diego, Calif.)
- Fashion Square (Scottsdale, Ariz.)
- Broadway Plaza at Walnut Creek (Walnut Creek, Calif.)
- Stanford Shopping Center Palo Alto (Palo Alto, Calif.)
- The Village at Corte Madera (Corte Madera, Calif.)
- Valley Fair (San Jose, Calif.)
- San Francisco Centre (San Francisco, Calif.)
- Roosevelt Field (Long Island, N.Y.)
- Short Hills (Short Hills, N.J.)
- Natick Mall (Natick, Mass.)
- Tysons Corner Center (Washington, D.C.)
- King of Prussia (Philadelphia, Penn.)
- NorthPark Center (Dallas, Texas)
- Barton Creek Square (Austin, Texas)
- The Woodlands (Houston, Texas)
- The Mall at Green Hills (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Village of Merrick Park (Coral Gables, Fla.)
- International Plaza (Tampa, Fla.)
- Aventura (Aventura, Fla.)
- Chinook Centre (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
- Mall of San Juan (San Juan, PR)
About Piece & Co
Based on her experiences at an artisan-focused nonprofit, CEO and Founder Kathleen Wright wanted to help women artisans create a marketplace for their products, and in turn create sustainable employment for themselves. Soon she began to make connections with brands that were looking for authentic alternatives to factory-produced fabrics and accessories and today, the handmade textiles she helps source – ikat, block print, tie-dye – are sought-after for their one-of-a-kind prints, bold colors and interesting textures. Piece & Co. was born.
Nordstrom, Inc. is a leading fashion specialty retailer based in the U.S. Founded in 1901 as a shoe store in Seattle, today Nordstrom operates 291 stores in 38 states and Canada. Customers are served at 115 Nordstrom stores in the U.S. and one in Canada; 167 Nordstrom Rack stores; two Jeffrey boutiques; and one clearance store. Additionally, customers are served online throughNordstrom.com, Nordstromrack.com and HauteLook. The company also owns Trunk Club, a personalized clothing service serving customers online at TrunkClub.com and its five clubhouses. Nordstrom, Inc.’s common stock is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol JWN.