The Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund (LMOCF) commemorates National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month by releasing new fundraising products and encouraging others to get involved with the cause. Ovarian cancer is the leading cause of death among gynecological cancers and fifth leading cause of death among women in the U.S.* LMOCF’s mission is to raise awareness and fund research and educational efforts that will help diagnose, treat and support women with ovarian cancer.
“During National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month in September, we want to inspire others to get involved and make a difference in the battle against ovarian cancer,” stated Claudia Poccia, President and CEO of Gurwitch Products and LMOCF co-founder. “LMOCF works year-round to raise funds to bring an end to this terrible disease. We are proud to support the groundbreaking research underway at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, our key partner, and encourage others to join the cause.”
LMOCF has donated $300,000 to key partner Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center to help support cutting-edge research being conducted by Dr. Carol Aghajanian, Chief of Gynecological Medical Oncology. Dr. Aghajanian is an expert in clinical and translational research in ovarian cancer. One of the challenges in ovarian cancer has been selection of the right treatment for the right patient due to the complex genomics of the disease.
“The Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund has been instrumental in providing the resources to develop a circulating tumor DNA test (a simple blood draw) that serves as a snap shot of pre-treatment tumor DNA,” explains Dr. Carol Aghajanian. “With this new test, we are one step closer to better selecting patients who will respond to therapies such as PARP inhibitors. We are truly grateful for this partnership.”
FOUR WAYS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
1. Know the Symptoms: Most women don’t know the risk factors or symptoms (persistent bloating, abdominal or pelvic pain, feeling full quickly when eating, and changes in urination). If you have symptoms or a family history of the disease, talk to a doctor. Don’t wait; the earlier ovarian cancer is diagnosed, the better the prognosis.
2. Spread the Word: Talk to your friends and family members about what you’ve learned. You can join the Speak Out for Hope conversation online by following @LauraMercier on Twitter, Instagram andFacebook. Who has inspired you to become stronger? Tell us how her battle with ovarian cancer has impacted your perspective. Share Your Story with us and join the conversation: Use #LMOCF and #SpeakOutForHope to support this important cause.
3. Donate: You can help LMOCF continue to raise awareness and fund research and educational efforts by making a 100% tax-deductible donation at lmocf.org or via Crowdrise. All funds go to programs that help diagnose, treat and support women with ovarian cancer.
4. Shop for the Cause: Laura Mercier Cosmetics donates 100 percent of the profits from the sale of its fundraising products to LMOCF. The four products that fight back can be found at lmocf.org,ShopBAZAAR.com (the e-commerce store of Harper’s BAZAAR) and retailers.
FOUR PRODUCTS THAT FIGHT BACK:
- Laura Mercier Lip Glace in Peach Hope: a high-shine, perfectly pigmented gloss with rich, long-lasting colour and brilliant shine that creates the appearance of fuller lips. The Peach Hope gloss glides on for a peachy-pink shimmer. Priced at $25 and available on lmocf.org, ShopBAZAAR.com and retailers.
- Jenny Packham Teal Clutch, exclusive for LMOCF: a teal bag in the identical silk satin and shape as the dress and matching clutch worn by Kate Middleton at the Our Greatest Team Rises Gala in London. The handmade clutch created by Jenny Packham, world-renowned fashion designer, is available on ShopBAZAAR.com and priced at $300.
- LMOCF Bracelet of Hope: an inspirational piece of jewelry to empower every woman with courage, strength and energy. The bracelet features hand-selected freshwater pearls and crystal quartz, and it is nickel and lead free. Laura Mercier partnered with talented jewelry designer, Viveca Karabatsos, to create the new LMOCF Bracelet of Hope, which is available on lmocf.org andShopBAZAAR.com. Priced at $35.
- Laura Mercier Bonne Mine Healthy Glow for Face & Cheeks Creme Colour Palette: the ultra-sheer, blendable palette provides skin with a natural “no makeup” glow that looks soft and sun-kissed. The palette was inspired by Laura Mercier’s work with celebrity clients, who wanted a universal compact that would “wake-up” their skin and give them an immediate healthy glow. The Bonne Mine palette is available at lmocf.org, ShopBAZAAR.com and retailers. Priced at $48.
In addition to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, LMOCF beneficiaries include Cancer and Careers (a program of the CEW Foundation, the charitable arm of Cosmetic Executive Women, Inc.), The Laura Lia Murray Ovarian Cancer Fund to support key programs at Memorial Cancer Institute (Hollywood, Florida), Ovarian Cancer Canada, Ovarian Cancer Action (UK) and Fonds pour les soins palliatifs (France).