New York, NY– Fashion trends evolve and change inspires growth; today IMG Fashion announced new steps in the transformation of its business and the next evolution of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York. The last few months have seen the company’s new executive team engage the industry as internal and external changes were made to deliver an innovative offering focused on designers’ needs and the company’s future success.
“In recent years, the global fashion week landscape has seen a major shift. What used to be a platform for established designers to debut their collections to select media and buyers, has developed into a cluttered, often cost prohibitive and exhausting period for our industry to effectively do business.” says Catherine Bennett, SVP and Managing Director, IMG Fashion Events and Properties.”The new Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week New York structure will consist of better curated live shows and presentations at The Tents at Lincoln Center, a new off-site satellite HUB for emerging talent, and an expanded digital platform for a new generation of fashion creators. This new schedule ensures all participants can maximize this key marketing moment during the first stop on the international fashion week calendar.”
With this in mind, IMG Fashion surveyed fashion designers and industry professionals on a number of topics relating to Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York, and worked closely with the CFDA to grow the platform to better serve the needs of the industry.
“Fashion Week in New York is one of the most important events for the global fashion industry. I look forward to seeing IMG implement changes to better address the needs of designers and the industry overall ,” said Steven Kolb, CEO, Council of Fashion Designers of America.
Some of the key findings included the need for a redesign of the on-site venue offerings, to provide more creative and versatile environments with contemporary aesthetics. The redesigned venue offerings will enable designers to better control and reduce audience capacities, making invitations once again an exclusive pass for true fashion insiders.
As well, as a result of the industry’s sophisticated and engaging use of digital media, designers now have the ability to provide real time viewing to a worldwide audience during the Event when all eyes are on New York. The MBFW Digital District is a new digital platform that will provide designers innovative options to better engage consumers. As well, this will provide talented emerging designers with cost efficient solutions to activate during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. This digital platform will make it possible for the next generation of digital pioneers to create compelling virtual shows, short film or original storytelling content that will sit side by side live shows, via the MBFW broadcast reaching millions of viewers in over 173 countries each season.
The new offerings include venue price reductions and provide show and activation solutions priced between $2,500 and $60,000. The Theater, The Salon, and The Pavilion at the Lincoln Center based Tents, The Hub at Hudson, The MBFW District and The MBFW Digital District, each created to embrace the industries call for updated solutions at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.
Updates for the Fall 2014 Collections include:
Redesigned venues that offer designers new creative options and the ability to seat more/less guests depending on their needs:
- The Theater will continue as the home for large scale and customized runway shows offering seating for up to 1000 with state of the art lighting and sound and increased backstage space for designer media opportunities
- The Salon, a sophisticated space with a sense of intimacy for designers wishing to accommodate up to 500 guests with a traditional runway of various widths and state of art the production elements
The introduction of new contemporary and fully flexible show space, The Pavilion
- A modern, fully flexible, 6000ft clear span, industrial feeling environment
- Multiple seating configurations as well as the components to ensure limitless presentation or runway formats
- Contemporary aesthetic with superior scenic options
- Click here for renderings and drawings of The Pavilion
The Hub at Hudson
- An extension of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week at Lincoln Center
- An interior with urban and downtown charm just 4 blocks from the Tents at Lincoln Center
- Flexible large-scale space for emerging talent to conduct presentations and exclusive events
- Economical pricing, catered towards up-and-coming designers
- Shows scheduled to complement events at Lincoln Center and throughout the city
- Click here for a rendering of The Hub
The MBFW District
- District Associate (DA):
- Increased opportunity for designers who wish to show at alternate show venues with the full support of official marketing benefits
- DA shows scheduled to allow for optimal attendance
- Shuttles between the Tents, The HUB and DA shows
- Digital District (DD):
- A schedule of digital show premieres of unique fashion content; available to designers who wish to participate on the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week schedule virtually
- Designers’ digital content will be screened at the Tents for the on site industry to be able to see as well as feeding into the MBFW broadcast and scheduled to complement live shows, capturing the attention of audiences around the world
- Last season, the MBFW broadcast had over 3.7 million views in 173 countries over the course of the week. MBFW DD will give participating designers global reach without the commitment of show or travel expenses, allowing small businesses to maximize their marketing budgets
Increased hospitality and efficiency
- Redesigned lobby will offer guests a more gracious experience
- Increased spaces for designers to hold hospitality events pre or post show
- New areas for industry professionals to hold meetings and conduct business on-site
- A more carefully curated Press and Industry List, with increased requirements for official accreditation, representative of this industry driven event
- Redesigned flow and FOH protocols
IMG Fashion will continuously evolve and grow the MBFW platform, as part of an ongoing conversation with the global fashion industry to ensure each season delivers on the professional needs of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. With a stable of global fashion event properties, consisting of fashion weeks, governing association relationships, designer discovery platforms and consumer focused festivals IMG Fashion will continue to act as industry conduits opening the gateway to Style, Innovation and Trends.