NEW YORK, NY — Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2013 takes an unprecedented journey to all seven continents, delivering fashion, beauty and earth’s most exotic destinations across print, tablet, mobile, web and television. Available on newsstands and on digital platforms now, the story of breathtaking SI Swimsuit models in equally beautiful locations around the world, including the red-hot cover shot of Kate Upton in Antarctica, provides fans access to over 650 high resolution images and more than two hours of high definition video.
Upton, a 20-year-old Melbourne, Fla. native, is the first back-to-back SI Swimsuit model to appear on the cover since Tyra Banks (1996, 1997) and joins Elle Macpherson (1986, 1987, 1988), Christie Brinkley (1980,1981) and Paulina Porizkova (1984, 1985) in the elite group of women who’ve appeared by themselves on the coveted cover in back-to-back years.
“Kate Upton joins the legacy of repeat cover models that have risen to international stardom from appearing on the cover of our iconic brand,” said MJ Day, senior editor of SI Swimsuit. “Adding to her legacy is the historic nature of SI Swimsuit 2013—we shot on all seven continents, including the first-ever fashion shoot in Antarctica, where the beautiful images of Kate transcend photography, making it a great choice for the cover and all of the digital Swimsuit platforms.”
The 220-page magazine features spreads of Swimsuit models in all seven continents, including four new Swimsuit model rookies, body paint in the Bahamas and four world class athletes. The magazine also includes essays on each of the exotic locations by SI editors and writers.
New for the SI Swimsuit multiplatform effort include: a tablet edition and mobile appwith more than 150 high resolution photos and over 75 high definition videos; a rebuiltwebsite with a fully liquid homepage and supercharged with scrollable photo galleries and videos from each location shoot; Swim Daily, a new daily destination for Swimsuit news, photos, interviews and videos; a live show on Si.com leading up to a spectacular live projection mapping event; three Google+ Hangouts; and a Travel Channel special on Feb. 17 at 8:00 p.m.
A breakdown of SI Swimsuit multiplatform content:
- Tablet: Available to download on major tablets and free to current SI subscribers, the tablet edition features all of the magazine content, plus 360-degree body painting, and over 75 videos, including three up-close videos of each of the 17 models and video features from all seven continents.
- Mobile App: The newest app features pinch and zoom for all photos, 360-degree body painting, Swim IQ (the guess-the-model trivia game, which will allow users to earn points and unlock videos and photos), and is airplay enabled. Fans can update the 2012 app or download for free in iTunes. And if that’s not enough, users can upgrade to the premium app at si.com/mobile to unlock all of the 2013 pictures and videos.
- Website – www.si.com/swimsuit: The newly rebuilt SI Swimsuit website features images from each location shoot and more than 75 videos that take you behind the scenes with the models. Fans can vote for their favorite rookie model atSI.com/rookies and win a chance to accompany a crew on a forthcoming Swimsuit photo shoot at si.com/swimsweeps.
- www.SwimDaily.com: A new daily online destination for non-stop news, photos, interviews and videos throughout the year. SwimDaily will have daily content from models, behind-the-scenes stories from the hard-working editorial team, exclusive interviews, an always-updating Instagram feed powered by the girls themselves, and more.
- SI Swimsuit 2013 Live on SI.com: Swimsuit model Chrissy Teigen and SportsIllustrated.com managing editor Matt Bean will host a live show at 10:00 p.m. ET Wednesday, Feb. 13 powered by Lexus featuring model interviews, clips from the upcoming Travel Channel behind-the-scenes show, sit-downs with creative director Chris Hercik and senior Swim editor MJ Day, and more. The climax: a live stream of the Swimsuit projection mapping event on Feb. 13 at 11 p.m., where a Swimsuit sizzle reel will be beamed on the façade of Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas.
- Social Media: The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit launch is fully interactive. On Twitter check out @SI_Swimsuit and follow the hash tag #WhereIswim; become a fan on Facebook (Facebook.com/SISwimsuit) follow on Instagram; and participate in threeGoogle+ hangouts at plus.google.com/+SISwimsuit:
- Feb. 12: 2:30p.m. ET: Meet Swimsuit Editors MJ Day and Darcie Baum (NYC)
- Feb. 13: 7:30p.m. ET: Meet this year’s Swimsuit Rookies with host Chris Mannix (Las Vegas)
- Feb. 14: 6:00p.m. ET: Spend Valentine’s Day with Kate Upton and Katherine Webb with host MJ Day (Las Vegas)
- Television: To find out what is was like to visit every continent, fans can tune into a TV special “The Making of Swimsuit 2013: 7 Continents, 17 Wonders”, which premieres Feb. 17 at 8 p.m. on the Travel Channel
The locations and models for Swimsuit 2013 included:
- Antarctica: Kate Upton (3rd Swimsuit Appearance)
- Australia: Genevieve Morton (4), Alyssa Miller (3), Nina Agdal (2), and Natasha Barnard (Rookie)
- Chile: Chrissy Teigen (4), Jessica Perez (2) and Kate Bock (Rookie)
- China: Anne V (9), Jessica Gomes (6) and Hannah Davis (Rookie)
- Namibia: Cintia Dicker (5), Adaora (2), and Emily Didonato (Rookie)
- Spain: Irina Shayk (2011 cover model and 7th appearance), Julie Henderson (7), and Ariel Meredith (3)
Kate Upton, Anne V, Chrissy Teigen, Alyssa Miller, Ariel Meredith and Nina Agdal are also featured in recreations of classic Swimsuit covers in the famous body paint section, which was shot on the sandy beaches of the Bahamas.
Overnight sensation Katherine Webb, making her first SI Swimsuit appearance, was shot in New York City. In addition, this year’s Swimsuit continues the tradition of featuring world class athletes, as pro surfer Alana Blanchard, Australian hurdler Michelle Jenneke and Dutch field hockey players Eva De Goede and Ellen Hoog were photographed in Las Vegas.
Sports Illustrated will launch the 2013 issue with a destination-wide celebration Feb. 12 to Feb. 15. The Launch week schedule includes:
- SI Swimsuit Launch Party hosted by Crimson in New York City: A party for SI Swimsuit partners, media and VIP guests to be attended by the 2013 Swimsuit models prior to jetting off to Las Vegas. Celebration begins at 5:00 p.m. on Feb. 12.
- SI Swimsuit Live Projection Mapping Event hosted by Caesar’s Palace: If you’re near Caesar’s Palace (or a computer) on Feb. 13 at 11 p.m. Eastern, prepare to have your mind blown. An SI Swimsuit sizzle reel will be beamed onto the hotel’s facade, which will—thanks to the magic of projection mapping—be animated in 3-D. If you’re not in Las Vegas, the event will be streamed live at SI.com/swimprojection, as well as people.com, ew.com and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit YouTube channel.
- SI Swimsuit on Location hosted by MARQUEE Nightclub at The Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas: The SI Swimsuit launch week event will feature the 2013 Swimsuit models and bring to life all of the beautiful and exotic shoot locations from the 2013 SI Swimsuit issue in a marquee and exclusive nightclub setting. Event begins at 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 13.
- Club SI Swimsuit hosted by 1OAK Nightclub at The Mirage, Las Vegas: This annual event features a main stage reveal of the 2013 Swimsuit models, and a super powered performance from an A-list performer. Club SI Swimsuit begins at 9:00 p.m. on Feb. 14.
- SI Swimsuit Overtime hosted by The Bank Nightclub at Bellagio, Las Vegas: This by-invitation-only event is the final celebration of Swimsuit launch week in Las Vegas. The event begins at midnight on Feb. 15.
ABOUT SPORTS ILLUSTRATED SWIMSUIT
The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit (www.SI.com/swimsuit) franchise reaches more than 62 million people annually, and more men 18 to 34 than the Super Bowl. The iconic franchise now spans more than 20 product extensions in digital social, broadcast, publishing, mobile and consumer products, along with supporting a vibrant experiential marketing business. Since debuting in 1964 Swimsuit has become a pop-culture phenomenon and an established launching pad for successful careers in TV, fashion, business and film including those of Kathy Ireland, Cheryl Tiegs, Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum. All of Swimsuit’s product extensions are built upon a heritage of amazing photography and footage of gorgeous models and athletes from the most exotic locations in the world.