New York, NY, United States (AHN) – TheFrisky.com interviewed Clinton Kelly as he’s out and about promoting his new book, “Oh No She Didn’t: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them.” Kelly parlays his knowledge gained from his hit TV show on TLC, “What Not To Wear,” co-hosted with Stacy London, and dishes out more fashion advice in this book.
This is Kelly’s second book, a follow-up to “Freakin’ Fabulous,” where he gave advice on how to dress fabulous, look fabulous and most importantly, feel fabulous.
“Oh No She Didn’t: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them” contains “funny-but-firm observations” that Kelly has the guts to say, and has probably said to peoples’ faces on the show. The blunt Kelly talked with TheFrisky.com to promote his new book. He said the only research he did was sit in a Starbucks in Times Square, noting fashion mistakes he spotted on tourists from the window.
“I think the worst thing a woman can do in general, the worst mistake a woman can make, is to opt-out of fashion altogether because she feels fashion isn’t meant for her,” Kelly told the website. “She’s too old for it or she doesn’t have the right body for it. I think that opting-out is the worst mistake she can make. As soon as you start to cover yourself in a tent if you’re plus-size, or you start to wear hoodies or sweatshirts and baggy pants because you don’t want anybody to see you might have a lump or a bump, people will start to lose respect for you. And [they’ll lose respect] not so much because of what you’re wearing, but because of what that says about you. When you say, “I’m not worth dressing nice,” people pick up on that.”
But it’s not all snarkiness; Kelly also offers tips on how to be fashionable on a budget in his new book. “If you’re a girl in your 20s or even early 30s, you should be spending 75 percent of your clothing budget on trends, if you want to. The other 25 percent should be on classic pieces that you go to year-to-year. You don’t want to have to replenish your entire closet every season!” Kelly said.
“Start thinking about some classics in your wardrobe. I give that guideline based on age, but if you have financial constraints, then you should probably flip that percentage: spend 75 percent of your budget on the classics, but add in 25 percent of trends. And you really should, because trends keep you modern and relevant and they can take classic pieces and turn them into modern outfits.”
Kelly’s book is available to buy in bookstores and online. Read the full interview on TheFrisky.com.