Caged in a cold environment, mice are prepared to receive injections of foreign chemicals to see how they react. They are tested for exposure reaction, prolonged use reactions, and several other tests until a product is deemed as safe for mice, then humans. While the injection itself sounds mildly painful, several results ranging from paralysis, severe nerve damage and extreme pain can occur in these animals. Beauty companies test on animals because it is cost effective and allows accurate safety tests to take place. Instead of using computer modeling to analyze results, they can literally see if their potential million/billion dollar product is actually safe for humans. The issue here is that the cruel and inhumane punishment that mice and many other animals go through can be avoided by using the aforementioned computer models. While prevalent in the 80s and early 90s, animal testing is something that is not often spoken about because it is generally thought of to be wiped out. The truth is something dramatically different. Animal testing is certainly something that is happening on a daily basis. Countless animals are killed during a scientific procedure of cosmetic testing. 94% of animal testing is done for cosmetics and household products. The other 6% is done for medical research.
Experimentation on animals is not only cruel and inhumane, but completely useless. For the tests to be anywhere near effective they must eventually be tested on humans. Most companies use the same chemicals over and over again. The combinations are different and the need for testing becomes more pronounced when new combinations are created. The tests go through similar phases as when testing a new vaccine. Phase 1 trials are usually conducted in a lab on animals. Phase 2 trials are tested on a wider range of animals and occasionally a small sample population of humans. If the tests are successful, they move it to the population at large. The animal testing phase can be skipped altogether but some companies feel that animal testing is the most effective way to produce accurate results.
Socially responsible companies do not test on animals and their products are just as good if not better than their animal testing competitors. Revlon, Estee Lauder, Philosophy, Jane Iredale and The Body Shop, do not believe in animal testing. A visit to their websites and independent lab auditing verifies this fact. For example on the Jane Iredale website you’ll find a disclaimer regarding animal testing and the company’s use of minerals: “Jane Iredale’s Skin Care Makeup combines the most up-to-date colors with skin-care benefits that conventional makeups can only envy:
– Environmentally aware.
– No products have been tested on animals“
To learn more about animal testing and how to petition against it, please visit www.stopanimaltests.com
For more information animal testing visit the Peta Website at: